[Coral-List] DNA of cultured Zooxanthellae

Carla Zilberberg carlazilber at yahoo.com.br
Fri Mar 2 13:24:10 EST 2012

Dear listers,

I need to develop microsatellites for Palythoa caribbaeorum and Madracis
decactis to look at population structure along the Brazilian coast. We
will try to bleach the colonies (thermal stress)  in order to get only
the animal DNA. However, in order to be certain that we will develop
micsats for the animal we need to check against a pure zooxanthellae
culture.

At this momment I have not found anyone here in Brazil that has been
culturing zooxanthellae in order for me to test the micsats. Does anyone
has any input on how could I get a DNA extraction (or even the cells
fixed in ethanol) of cultured zooxanthellae (clades more common in the
Atlantic A, B and/or C) or does anyone have any better ideas on how can
we be sure that we will develop micsats for the animal and not for the
algae?

Thank you very much in advance!

Sincerely,

Carla