[Coral-List] Listserve submission: Caribbean Coastal Community Grants EOI

Christine Hicks chicks at counterpart.org
Mon Mar 5 13:09:02 EST 2012

Subject: Caribbean Coastal Communities Small Grants Program
Dear Coral Listers,
Counterpart International, the University of Miami, and the Punta Cana Ecological Foundation, are working in partnership with the Inter-American Development Bank to roll out a Caribbean Coastal Communities Small Grants program. As described in the attached Request for Expression of Interest (EOI), these grants are intended to support NGOs, community groups, and businesses working at the nexus of ecosystems, communities and economies through the sustainable management of coastal resources and livelihoods development in the Caribbean Region.
Our goal is to put in place the framework for a cross-regional transfer of knowledge and experience gained in the arena of conservation, restoration, fisheries replenishment and the implications on livelihoods and the sustainable development of coastal communities.  This is a competitive process for which to identify and scale-up successful models in the Caribbean region.
Grant Awardees will benefit through:

*         Connecting field practitioners with scientists spanning multiple fields;

*         Increased capacity for long-term stewardship of resources in a changing environment;

*         Access to training manuals;

*         Access to science for decision making;

*         Applying research findings to real life development challenges; and

*         Increased understanding for successful models linking restoration and livelihoods enhancement

We are currently reaching out to our partners for assistance in (1) circulating the attached EOI to qualified applicants, (2) identifying areas of collaboration and synergy within similar programs to reach greater impact, and (3) seeking out co-sponsorship in the form of innovative marketing, media, and outreach support.  We intend to leverage this initiative to better educate and inform an array of audiences of the importance of coastal and marine ecosystems, and actively promote successful models that address mutual interests and mutual benefits to sustainable resource management. Your networks, brands and consumers are all integral stakeholders in shaping the future of our oceans.
We appreciate your support, creative ideas, and potential collaboration coming out of these efforts. If you have any questions or would like more details, please contact Christine Hicks at Chicks at counterpart.org<mailto:Chicks at counterpart.org>
Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Christine Hicks
Senior Technical Advisor
Counterpart International

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is the property of Counterpart International and is intended solely for business purposes. This email message may contain confidential and privileged information, the unauthorized review, copy, use, disclosure, or distribution of which is prohibited.