[Coral-List] Fwd: FL Legislature and SEAKEYS

Ian Zink izink at rsmas.miami.edu
Thu Mar 8 11:47:31 EST 2012

Please correct me if I am wrong, but according to US fisheries
management councils, the Gulf of Mexico includes water north and west of
the Keys, will the demarcation line between GOM and S. Atlantic running
due west out of Key West (or is it Dry Tortugas?).  Does the state of
FL, including the sizes of its state waters and zones of jurisdiction,
follow these rules?

So, if the SEAKEYS stations are off the Atlantic coast (on reefs south
or SE off the Keys), and they are more than 3 nmi offshore, then they
are in Federal waters?
http://www.gc.noaa.gov/gcil_maritime.html

Though it is very unfortunate that funding was lost for these stations,
just trying to makes sure the discussion stays grounded in fact/law.

  Ian C. Zink
  Research Associate
  Cooperative Institute for Marine&  Atmospheric Studies (CIMAS)
  U. of Miami - Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)
  4600 Rickenbacker Causeway
  Miami, FL 33149
  office: 305-421-4146
  cell: 603-498-3988