[Coral-List] Circular patches on Millepora

Rupert Ormond rupert.ormond.mci at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 06:59:15 EDT 2012

Hi Stephan (et al.),

Interesting question, I am not familiar with such damage from that area.
Their circular nature does make one think of COT scars, but they would
have to be very small ones and COTs normally actively avoid Millepora
because they get stung by it!

But is that a Drupella in the lower right of the larger picture?  I
think that might be the cause.  Drupella have become quite common in the
northern Red Sea.

Where was the picture taken?  In Sinai or down south.  I am heading out
to Sharm for some fieldwork next week and will keep an eye open.
kind regards,

Rupert

  --

*Prof. Rupert Ormond*

Corresponding Secretary, International Society for Reef Studies.
Professor, Centre for Marine Biodiversity & Biotechnology, Heriot-Watt
University, Edinburgh.