[Coral-List] Approaching game over

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 24 17:18:46 EDT 2012

   I envision Greg making his comments with a sardonic smile, but I accept the
   provocation
   in good humor.  Here is a revised and edited version designed to meet his
   standards for
   general consumption. (Feel free to dissect and/or ridicule).
   Sarah's comments came under attack for being expressed in exaggerated form,
   but I found
   them appropriate because she was not appealing to political leaders or
   decision makers,
   after all sheâs hardly a Super Pac. In my view, she was just trying to issue
   a wake up call to
   her fellow scientists in a desperate attempt to increase awareness of the
   fact that if they
   don't become more vocal in opposition to this country's current energy
   policy, our coral reefs
   will likely be doomed.
   Scientists,  by  their  very nature and to their great credit, exhibit
   restraint and attempt to maintain
   total objectivity until they have thoroughly tested a hypothesis and are
   absolutely certain that
   their conclusions have been adequately validated.  However, there have been
   examples in the
   past  (determining the effects of tobacco products comes to mind) that
   illustrate that sometimes
   absolute  scientific  truths  become  obvious early on and waiting for
   uncontested verification has
   proven unnecessary. In fact, it could be argued that needless delay can
   allow further undesirable
   complications to set in. Climate change may yet offer another example of an
   issue that calls for
   a more expeditious or accelerated response.
   Now, although we don't want to resort to hyperbole, if we just continue to
   sit back quietly and allow
   all these vicious attacks on scientific integrity to continue, it begins to
   look like we can't defend
   ourselves  against those who believe that scientific knowledge poses a
   threat. We even have
   politicians in leadership positions who promote the idea that climate change
   is âThe Greatest Hoaxâ
   and that only a supreme being is capable of affecting the climate and other
   unfathomable forces
   that exist in the natural world.
   The latest decision to fast track a portion of a pipeline carrying fossil
   fuels from Oklahoma to Texas
   may not be the proverbial "final nail" in the coffin of the world's coral
   reefs, but it seems that weâre
   getting frighteningly close to that end.
   So the question arises, under these conditions, are concerned scientists
   justified in becoming more
   aggressive or are they somehow restricted by their vows to remain muted and
   restrained?
    Steve