[Coral-List] mysterious Tridacna mortality

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 08:44:39 EDT 2012

I am finding unusual numbers of T. maxima and T. crocea shells lying loose
on the reef of a resort under construction.
The shell are still hinged, there is no shell breakage or obvious scrape
marks and their interiors are clean (no epibiota). I suspect human agency
because the usual suspects are here in unusual numbers and I have not
observed this in other instances when only the natural predators such as
titan triggerfish are present.
Suggestions welcome.
Thanks.
Bill