[Coral-List] mysterious Tridacna mortality

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 21:22:48 EDT 2012

An elementary forensic question:

Has anyone noted how quickly an algal film begins to be apparent on the
inside of a tridacnid shell after it has been killed and left in the water
with the shell open with the inside facing upwards (i.e, well lit).
This becomes detectable with the unaided eye on a dead coral here in about
a week.
The shells I saw were squeaky clean.