[Coral-List] Coral Virus Publication in JEMBE

Rebecca Vega Thurber rvegathurber at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 13:38:31 EDT 2012

Yesterday a press release went out about our recent JEMBE paper on coral
viruses, and I've had several requests for details about the article today.
Therefore I've decided to disseminate this work more widely by posting the
reference to Coral List.

This paper, *Viruses of Tropical Stony Corals*, was published in a special
collection on coral reefs edited by William K. Fitt and David Yellowlees.
Our article, (Vega Thurber R. & Correa-Simoes A. (2011) Viruses of Tropical
Stony Corals. *Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology*.
408:102-113; doi:10.1016/j.jembe.2011.07.030) synthesizes previous work on
the viruses associated with corals and their cnidarian relatives, and
highlights some strengths and limitations of the methods commonly used for
viral analysis. Based on these foundational studies, we present a current
working model for stony coral virology and encourage more researchers to
enter the field.

Please note that since we originally wrote this paper additional papers
concerning coral viruses have been published, particularly: Littman R,
Willis BL, Bourne DG (2011) Metagenomic analysis of the coral holobiont
during a natural bleaching event on the Great Barrier Reef. *Environmental
Microbiology Reports* 3: 651-660.

I hope you find the article informative and enjoyable. -Becky

--
Dr. Rebecca Vega Thurber
Assistant Professor of Microbiology