[Coral-List] Viral Disease - Particularly from Herpes - Gaining Interest as Possible Cause of Coral Decline

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 21:35:24 EDT 2012

*The headline is misleading.
1. It seems that in this case diseases are secondary causes riding on the
coat-tails of  primary causes*.
2. Arguably such reporting is not only misleading but distracts attention
from the primary problem, the fundamental problem, the real problem,
ecosystem degradation.

("We have found that nutrient increases from pollution can cause increased
levels of viral infection, as do warmer water and physical handling..."
Vega-Thurber said. "Now we have to determine if those increases in
infection cause actual diseases that are killing the coral.")