[Coral-List] Comparing diving destinations (SEA SNAKES)

Delbeek, Charles CDelbeek at calacademy.org
Fri Mar 30 13:59:34 EDT 2012

Hi Keven, not sure this is "new" news. When I was at Waikiki Aquarium we
twice attempted to keep Pelamis that had been found washed up on a beach.
The first time we kept it alive for several months, and WAQ research
associate Jerry Crow had found evidence that they required freshwater, so
we used to create a freshwater lens on the surface once a week or so for
it to drink from. It eventually succumbed to some internal damage it
suffered when it was found washed up presumably. I don't remember if Jerry
found a reference to the freshwater or came up with the idea himself when
speaking with the vets at the Honolulu Zoo.

J. Charles Delbeek, M.Sc.
Assistant Curator, Steinhart Aquarium
California Academy of Sciences

p 415.379.5303
f. 415.379.5304
cdelbeek at calacademy.org
www.calacademy.org
<applewebdata://0D55256E-4455-4DAE-9DB0-FA322AB79D66/www.calacademy.org>

55 Music Concourse Dr.
Golden Gate Park
San Francisco CA 94118

Share the sights, sounds and science of the holidays during 'Tis the
Season for Science‹now through January 16th.