[Coral-List] satellite images to monitor Sargassum landing in the southern Caribbean

Chuanmin Hu hu at marine.usf.edu
Fri May 4 10:46:04 EDT 2012

Last year the Antilles Islands experienced enormous amount of Sargassum
landing, and this year it may repeat. But one thing different is that we
now have a better way to monitor the potential landing using MODIS
imagery - check this out:
http://optics.marine.usf.edu/cgi-bin/optics_data?roi=C_ATLANTIC&Date=4/3/2012&Pass=A1725

The AFAI image shows Sargassum slicks near the islands, while the CI
image shows Amazon's plume and other circulation features. What is even
better is that you can bring both images to Google Earth by clicking the
GE button, and then you can visualize ocean currents from HYCOM model
results.
Images are updated everyday in near real-time. We are still trying to
improve, so comments are welcome.
Cheers,
Chuanmin Hu, University of South Florida