[Coral-List] Little Cayman Research Centre Postdoctoral Fellowship

CCMI manager at reefresearch.org
Wed May 23 10:16:34 EDT 2012

Central Caribbean Marine Institute

Little Cayman Research Centre Postdoctoral Fellowship

The Central Caribbean Marine Institute is seeking to appoint an outstanding Postdoctoral Researcher who will advance our understanding of how changing climate scenarios may impact the tropical ocean’s carbon cycle and ultimately biodiversity. The Fellowship research will be part of a broader effort aimed at examining links between climate change and coral reef stress. Research carried out by the successful candidate will be focused on an evaluation of ecosystem-level effects of ocean acidification and may address a suite of ecological questions related to biophysical and chemical processes that influence corals and other calcifying organisms as well as other reef associated fauna. The Postdoctoral Fellow will have the primary responsibility for designing and implementing field and laboratory experiments.

The Postdoctoral Fellow will work year-round in residence at the Little Cayman Research Centre where we have established an ocean acidification laboratory, a wet lab, a small fleet of research vessels, and SCUBA facilities. The Fellow will work under the supervision of the Director of Research and Conservation, Dr. Carrie Manfrino, and will receive some field assistance from our research interns. We seek an early career scientist whose PhD degree was awarded within the past three years. This position will suit a well-rounded research scientist who is comfortable in the field and in the laboratory and who is capable of developing a collaborative research agenda that will attract researchers to the field station. We seek a Fellow who will: (1) make an original contribution to understanding the impacts of climate change on coral reef ecosystems, (2) integrate the work into a longer-term research strategy for the Central Caribbean Marine Institute, and (3) make substantial and effective use of Little Cayman Research Centre facilities.

Additional Information

We anticipate that the Fellow will make substantial contributions to understanding the ecosystem-level impacts of ocean acidification and thermal stress. The Fellow will be responsible for the development and implementation of innovative field and laboratory experiments that advance our understanding of the topic and results should be broadly disseminated in leading scientific journals. We expect also that the results of the research will be used to help develop conservation strategies that aim to conserve biological diversity.

Salary and Benefits

Salary is tax free in the Cayman Islands and is contingent on experience. The position includes living accommodation and meals at the Little Cayman Research Centre, health insurance and a modest research budget for laboratory set-up (equipment, supplies at LCRC) and field experiments (diving, boat support), and travel for scholarly activity.

Intellectual Property

Publications arising from the research must provide appropriate recognition of the Fellowship, the funding source and the facilities provided by the Central Caribbean Marine Institute. Data resulting from the project will be the property of CCMI.

Responsibilities include

·       - Designing and conducting innovative laboratory and field experiments

·       - Contributing to the ongoing research activities at the field station

·       - Supporting the intellectual development of younger scientists at the Little Cayman Research Centre

·       - Contributing scientific benefits in addition to research outcomes through oral presentations, professional workshops and training to diverse audiences

·      -  Completing biannual (August 31 and December 31) reports; hosting a workshop

·       - Publication in leading peer-reviewed journals

·       - Managing and monitoring research budgets for projects

Selection criteria

·       - Awarded a PhD degree within the past 3 years and completed before the start of this fellowship

·       - An academic and research record that demonstrates relevant laboratory and field research experience especially in the areas of ocean chemistry, biological oceanography and/or marine biology. We are particularly interested in applicants with experience collecting and working with early life history stages of marine organisms.

·       - Strong quantitative skills with evidence of proficiency in sampling and experimental design, contemporary statistical methods and modeling

·       - Enthusiasm for working collaboratively and willing to integrate the work into the current research programme

·       - An academic record that illustrates an interest in communicating science to stakeholders and community members.

·       - A proposed research project or suite of projects that: (a) makes an original contribution to climate change science, (b) is relevant to the long-term scientific research strategy of the Central Caribbean Marine Institute, and (c) makes substantial and effective use of Little Cayman Research Centre facilities.

·      -  Feasibility of the proposed research within the limitations of our budget, facilities, and safety regulations.

·       - Scientific leverage enabled by fellowship funding (e.g. involvement of collaborators and resident research interns and other funding).

·       - Experience living in remote locations and working independently.

Applications

Application form must be submitted to Dr. Carrie Manfrino, Director of Research and Conservation, CCMI. ccmiapplications at reefresearch.org

Include in the application: (1) a curriculum vitae, (2) examples of 3 scholarly works and 3 scholarly activities (research papers, symposia/workshop development, presentations to scientific and stakeholder communities), and (3) Completed application form. Applications will be assessed against the selection criteria as indicated above.

Relevant dates:

Position starts as early as June 1, 2012 and may be renewable after one year pending Cayman Islands Work Permit approval.