[Coral-List] Coral-List Birthday

Magnus Johnson m.johnson at hull.ac.uk
Wed May 23 15:45:47 EDT 2012

Hi All,

Yes a great list - active and full of discussion, generally good natured often very useful.  I disagree with some exclusionist sentiments on here but go with the Winston Churchill (I think) cliché, something like - "I will fight with every fibre in my body against what you are saying but would die for your right to say them".

Speaking of which.  We often see "Fortress Conservation" type sentiments on here.  I would urge folk to take a look at: http://www.worldwatch.org/node/565 and also read Dowie's excellent "Conservation Refugees".  I think I feel the tide turning against the exclusion of folk who have used the marine realm and a more human-centric approach to conservation coming.

I went to the World fisheries Conference recently and watched an excellent presentation by Beth Fulton during which she used two memorable phrases:

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail" and "We need to have a broad footstep and tread lightly"

Cheers, Magnus