[Coral-List] Great Barrier Reef is rapidly losing coral

Eugene Shinn eshinn at marine.usf.edu
Sun Nov 4 15:01:45 EST 2012

Thanks David for a thoughtful posting re GBR COTS outbreaks  I don't
recall the COTS spines as much as I remember the sand sized grains
that are the individual components that make up the starfish tests.
The were the major component of the surficial reef sand at that time
(1972).  I agree pleased that  such events have happened in the past
and that we will probably never isolate a single cause. Such
outbreaks are likely as complicated as  Snowshoe rabbits or Lemming
population explosions or the various factors that lead to the
occasional mosquito or lovebug outbreaks here in south Florida. I
suspect readers can envision other such biological outbreaks.  Gene
--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor