[Coral-List] Cyanobacteria outbreak

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Fri Nov 2 15:12:53 EDT 2012

PS Alberto Acosta sent me a link to his drop box photos of the
outbreak......this cyanobateria is more filamentous that what I typically
observe and that we use when quickly assessing water quality.

The more slimey, almost creating a coating like film over the reef, variety
is the rapidly colonizing type I described and usually cannot tolerate very
high current regimes.  I suspect this more filamentous version might be
even more likely to occupy space even higher up in the reef column or in
higher energy systems (because it can probably stick to coral branches
better).  Let's hope it we don't see it spreading widely!

Thanks,

Todd R Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation
609 PORTIA N ST, NOKOMIS, FL 34275