[Coral-List] Excess algal symbionts increase coral susceptibility to bleaching

Jim Hendee jim.hendee at noaa.gov
Fri Nov 16 11:38:00 EST 2012

Billy,

  Ever since you first told me (in the mid 90s) of the doldrums preceding
bleaching in the FKNMS, we utilized wind in our CREWS software production
rules for bleach forecasting, as well as light (less wind means less wave
action means greater transmittance of light through the water column, as
well as less atmospheric oxygen reaching the seas). To us, it's not always
about high sea temperature in bleaching, but sometimes high light pushing
the final button on bleaching for corals stressed through high sea
temperature.  (The physiological mechanisms are of course  complex.) Those
constructs are still in place for all of our sites (
http://ecoforecast.coral.noaa.gov).  Your practical knowledge was captured
back then and has proved to be a part many of the models.  You are
immortalized in programming code!  :D

Now, for the new extension of the CREWS Network in the Caribbean, my
colleagues and I are talking of trying to add oxygen sensors!

Thanks!

  Cheers, Jim