[Coral-List] Excess algal symbionts increase coral susceptibility to bleaching

Andrew Baker abaker at rsmas.miami.edu
Wed Nov 21 09:06:53 EST 2012

Dear Gene

After reading Roff & Mumby (2012) I began to wonder the same thing.
Ferrier-Pages et al. (2001) showed that corals exposed to elevated Fe
increased their symbiont densities by about a third, and it's possible this
could affect their thermotolerance. Right now we are running a pilot
experiment where we dosed several coral species with high Fe and we are now
challenging them with thermal stress. It would be interesting indeed if this
does (a) increase symbiont densities, and (b) increase susceptibility to
bleaching, compared to controls. If the effect is detectable at the kinds of
increases in (biologically available) Fe potentially entering from dust,
perhaps it could be a contributing factor in the lower resilience of
Caribbean reefs, as Roff & Mumby suggested.

A group of us (including Pete Mumby) submitted a proposal to NSF recently,
so hopefully there will be an opportunity to pursue these (and other) ideas
in more detail soon...

Best

Andrew

Trends in Ecology and Evolution 27(7): 404-413
Ferrier-Pages C, Schoelzke V, Jaubert J, Muscatine L, Hoegh-Guldberg O
(2001) Response of a scleractinian coral, Stylophora pistillata, to iron and
nitrate enrichment. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 259:
249–261

___________________
Andrew C. Baker, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, University of Miami
Pew Fellow in Marine Conservation

Visit the lab on Facebook by clicking here

Division of Marine Biology and Fisheries
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
University of Miami
4600 Rickenbacker Cswy.
Miami, FL 33149, USA
Office: +1 (305) 421-4642