[Coral-List] Alga densities and bleaching

Rudy Bonn rudy_bonn at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 12:07:31 EST 2012

Interesting?  The Key West Marine Park is managed by Reef Relief here in Key West.  It is a ~48 acre site on the south side of the island and fronts Higgs beach, Dog beach, and extends from the duval street pier east to the white street pier, (Gene is probably familiar with the area) anyway, years ago the county/city put in a new pier at Higgs Beach and left portions of the old one behind.  These submerged portions of the old pier are made of iron, and there are corals attached to this iron substrate in amazing numbers and diversity, and they are all in very good health, I can send pictures if you contact me by my email, the water depth is 12 foot max on a spring tide, so we know that during the summer months the temp probably reaches the upper 80's  these corals show no signs of disease, alga overgrowth, bleaching,  like I said in really good health.  Any ideas?  the genera we have found include:  montastrea, siderastrea, porites, diploria
 (several sp) meandrina, oculina, among others, all in good health all attached to iron,    ideas?

Rudy S Bonn
Director of Marine Projects
Reef Relief
631 Greene Street