[Coral-List] Cyanophytes in Hawaii

Phil Dustan dustanp at cofc.edu
Sat Nov 24 11:41:01 EST 2012

Hey Listers,
 It's black band all over again. This time in the Pacific!
What's next - white plague, followed by yellow band and the whole
progressing of coral killers like we saw first in Florida, then the
Caribbean. Back then we said something like "corals were the canary in a
cage for a degrading ocean".  Not too many seemed to listen, especially the
political types. Now, perhaps after the freak storm (not related to climate
change) Sandy, people might rethink our relationship with the sea:
temperature increases, nutrients in sewage 'cause they are too expensive to
remove, watershed effluent washing off the land... looks like thanksgiving
day for the microbes..... but not the reefs..
  The long term has no price because it can't be replaced......such a
shame.....
      Phil

--
Phillip Dustan