[Coral-List] Massive Coral Die Off in Kauai, Hawaii

Curt Storlazzi cstorlazzi at usgs.gov
Wed Oct 3 12:54:20 EDT 2012

Colleagues,

A consortium (US Geological Survey, University of Hawaii, Hanalei Watershed Hui, EPA, USACE, NOAA, and state and local partners) conducted a series of studies related to land-based pollution in Hanalei Bay, Kauai, in the 2000s. This work was carried out, in part, due to the US Coral Reef Task Force-Hawaiian Local Action Strategy's designation of Hanalei Bay as one of the priority study area focused on land-based pollution to coral reefs in Hawaii. For those of you that are interested, these efforts may help provide some context for the recent postings regarding the "massive coral die off" in the area. Please see the following websites for more information:

http://coralreefs.wr.usgs.gov/kauai.html

http://www.hawaii.edu/HIMB/research.html

http://www.hanaleiwatershedhui.org/

http://www.coralreef.gov/

Curt

ciao.....
Curt Storlazzi, Ph.D.
U.S. Geological Survey
Pacific Coastal and Marine Science Center
400 Natural Bridges Drive
Santa Cruz, CA  95060
(831) 460-7521 phone       <<< NEW #
(831) 427-4748 fax