[Coral-List] Nutrient-stress mediated bleaching

Wiedenmann J. joerg.wiedenmann at noc.soton.ac.uk
Tue Oct 9 18:34:23 EDT 2012

Dear all,

Please allow me to draw your attention to our recent paper in Nature Climate Change that describes a mechanistic link between nitrogen enrichment and bleaching susceptibility. (“Nutrient enrichment can increase the susceptibility of reef corals to bleaching”: http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate1661.html)
We found that an increased supply of nitrate in combination with a restricted availability of phosphate results in phosphate starvation of zooxanthellae. This condition is associated with an altered lipid composition of the zooxanthellae, a reduction in their photosynthetic efficiency and an increased susceptibility of corals to temperature and light-induced bleaching. The study provides further mechanistic support for the field observations that have identified nutrient / nitrogen enrichment as a major driver of reef decline and for the necessity to control coastal run-off in order to increase reef resilience.

With kind regards,

Jörg Wiedenmann

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PD Dr. Joerg Wiedenmann
National Oceanography Centre
University of Southampton, Waterfront Campus
European Way
Southampton, SO14 3ZH
U.K.
http://www.noc.soton.ac.uk/corals/