[Coral-List] mitochondrial divergence robust vs complex corals

Christian R Voolstra christian.voolstra at kaust.edu.sa
Sun Oct 14 07:28:36 EDT 2012

Dear colleagues,

allow me to point you to our recent publication:

Title: Evolutionary insights into scleractinian corals using comparative genomic hybridizations

Authors: Aranda  Manuel, DeSalvo K Michael, Bayer  Till, Medina  Monica, Voolstra R Christian,

Journal: BMC Genomics

http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/13/501

Here, we found indications for a potentially important role of the coral mitochondrion/mitochondrial-encoded genes in the evolution of the robust coral clade by analyzing differences in divergence of mitochondrial and nuclear encoded genes. Accordingly, this needs to be taken into account when using mitochondrial markers for scleractinian phylogenies.

Thank you,
Chris

Christian R Voolstra
Assistant Professor of Marine Science