[Coral-List] Majuro updates

Dean Jacobson atolldino at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 19:21:24 EDT 2012

Jim:
After weeks of having my updates rejected by the list, I am glad you are back in the saddle, and also (as I had imagined might have been the case) I am glad you weren't sick.  Hope you had a good trip.  And yes, as you suggested to me, I am writing a book!
I am so grateful for the List; without it the picnic reef would have already been mined (now it is being silted, a silt curtain has not been put up to protect it from the adjacent RSA fill-operation)

I honestly believe that much of the reservoir reef can also, still, be saved.  I presented a long list of petition comments to the new US ambassador, Tom Armbruster, who recently invited me over for a meeting at the embassy.  Tom was very receptive and sympathetic, my presentation went very well.  Without the List I would not have had these commments, including those of Ove, Laurie Richardson, Greta Aeby etc (Charlie Veron also signed).  Now that the RMI EPA office is refusing to cooperate or even respond to my complaints and suggestions, the pressure now being applied by Tom is the only way to pry open the door of access to the environmental regulatory process again.  (I believe he realizes that I am a credible and responsible actor in this saga; his position is that "It is in the US's best interest that this project be done well".)  International pressure is the only thing that will work, and for that pressure I am endebted to the list.  The
 details of misdeeds by Majuro regulators/leaders/corporations and their campaign against me, which I provide here, clearly motivates people to get involved.  I think you can see that my posts are not flames, but have a single goal, to get the towering ecological value of reefs taken more seriously in the RMI (and elsewhere).  I am sure you will agree that this is an appropriate topic for the list.

I'd like to remind listers (several of whom have asked about my petition) that my petition is still, inexplicably, closed, and that I have started a petition asking the petition website to reopen this petition to stop US-funded coral mining in the RMI.  Listers can contact me for the site of this new petition (this seems like a joke, but is not!).
Cheers,
Dean Jacobson