[Coral-List] Job Announcement: Coral Reef Monitoring Biologist, Saipan, CNMI
coralreefpoc at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 04:38:53 EDT 2012
The CNMI Coastal Resources Management Office is announcing a position for a
Coral Reef Monitoring Biologist.
*POSITION AND SALARY:*
**Coral Reef Monitoring Biologist; *the salary given will be determined by
the qualifications of the appointee.*
**Office of the Governor, Coastal Resources Management Office (CRMO)
**This position will serve as Coral Reef Monitoring Biologist at the
Coastal Resources Management Office. She/He will be responsible for
leading implementation of the CNMI Marine Monitoring Team (MMT) coral
monitoring research, data collection and analysis. The Coral Reef
Monitoring Biologist will also be responsible for certain grants management
tasks regarding MMT funding.
*DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:*
- Write, submit and manage the CNMI annual US Coral Reef Initiative
(USCRI) Coral Reef Ecosystems Monitoring Grant and coordinate with NOAA
Center for Coastal Monitoring and Assessment (CCMA) to assure the
requirements of this grant are met in a timely manner.
- Submit semi-annual reports, as required by the USCRI Coral Reef
Ecosystems Monitoring grant including information on completed activities,
conditions of surveyed coral reefs and management recommendations for
identified problems in the marine environment.
- Coordinate actions between the CNMI local regulatory agencies
including Division of Fish and Wildlife (DFW) and the Division of
Environmental Quality (DEQ) in support of the CNMI Long-Term Marine
- Establish new monitoring sites and develop appropriate sampling or
survey methodology as necessary.
- Maintain and update a marine monitoring database for sharing with NOAA
and other members of the US All-Islands Coral Reef Task Force (USCRTF).
- Develop accurate maps indicating the location of monitoring sites and
areas of special concern for reef health or biodiversity.
- Supports CRMO with other marine biology-associated tasks including,
but not limited to, permit review, site damage assessment, permit site
inspection, or research to address management issues.
- Conducts other related duties as assigned by the CRM Administrator.
Master’s Degree or higher from an accredited university in marine biology
or related field, plus four (4) years of experience in tropical marine
biology including field research, lab work and knowledge of local biota and
- Advanced dive experience, seamanship, and ability to carry out
monitoring methods (including equipment set-up) in a marine environment
- Experience in interagency coordination, project management and grants
- Excellent writing, verbal, and computer skills
- Willingness to travel as required
- Must be a citizen of the United States
*For questions or clarifications, contact Fran Castro, CNMI Coral Reef
Point of Contact by email at: **francastro at deq.gov.mp*<francastro at deq.gov.mp>
* or Tel No. (670) 664-8525.*
*To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Rita Chong,
Administrator, CNMI Coastal Resources Management, P.O. Box 10007, Saipan, MP
96950. Applications will be accepted via email to
**rita.chong at crm.gov.mp*<rita.chong at crm.gov.mp>
* and cc Fran Castro at **francastro at deq.gov.mp*
<francastro at deq.gov.mp>*by 4:30 pm (CNMI/Guam time) on 12 November
CNMI CR Point of Contact
Nonpoint Source and Marine Monitoring Program
CNMI Division of Environmental Quality
P.O. Box 501304
Saipan, MP 96950
Tel: (670) 664-8525
Mobile: (670) 483-6725
Fax: (670) 664-8540
email: coralreefpoc at gmail.com
*"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much"* ~*Helen Keller *
More information about the Coral-List