[Coral-List] Mussman

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 21:42:30 EDT 2012

This recent book on pseudo-science by a historian of science might be
enlightening.
The Pseudoscience Wars: Immanuel Velikovsky and the Birth of the Modern
Fringe, Michael D. Gordin University of Chicago Press: 2012. 304 pp.
£18.50, $29, ISBN: 9780226304427
"In his final pages, Gordin touches on a new phase of pseudoscience,
practised by a few rogue scientists themselves. Climate-change denialism is
the prime example, in which a handful of researchers, allied with an
effective public-relations machine, are publicly challenging the scientific
consensus that global warming is real and is attributable mainly to human
consumption of fossil fuels. Deniers' questioning of the climate data and
their attacks on the integrity and motivations of the scientists involved
was exemplified by the e-mail-hacking 'climate-gate' scandal of 2009. This
is perhaps the greatest threat from pseudoscience today."
http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/490480a