[Coral-List] Spawning in the southern Caribbean

graham.epstein at gmail.com graham.epstein at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 10:34:06 EDT 2012

In reply to Valeria Pizarro we are hoping for an October spawn, see below for September observation. The CARMABI research station in Curacao (http://www.researchstationcarmabi.org/) would be a good contact for previous spawning observations in our region as they have considerable research experience in spawning/recruitment.

Region: Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean
Site/Reef: Yellow Sub Dive Site (West, leeward coast)
Observer(s): Graham Epstein, Rachael Anna Wright
Date of spawning observation: 6th September 2012
Sunset time: 18:40
Monitoring start time: 21:40
Monitoring end time: 23:00
All species monitored: M. annularis, M. faveolata, M. cavernosa, S. intersepta, E. fastigiata
Depth: 8 - 15 meters
Approx. monitoring area: 150 m2
Species that spawned: M. annularis, M. cavernosa
Time Spawn: M. annularis 22:15, M. cavernosa 22:40
Approx. % of monitored corals that spawned: M. annularis ~ 8%, M. cavernosa ~ 5%

Notes: Dive also carried out at same site, same time, similar area, 7th September 2012 – only one S. intersepta colony seen spawning

Graham Epstein, MSc
Lab Analyst, CIEE Research Station Bonaire
CIEE:  Council on International Educational Exchange
Kaya Gobernador Debrot 26
Kralendijk, Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean
Tel:  +599 717 4140
Mobile: +599 788 3966