[Coral-List] Correcting pin-cushion distortion in UW photos

Widman, Elizabeth E.A.Widman at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Sep 14 06:49:44 EDT 2012

Dear Martina,

The 'corner stretching' of photos that occurs when using a wide-angle lens is commonly known as pin-cushion distortion. While taking over 7 000 photo-quadrat images for my PhD project using a wide-angle lens I needed to find a method to auto-correct the images as one batch. I found the PTLens software ( available at http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/ ) and software developer ( Tom Niemann) to be very  helpful. Especially since it sounds like you have a scaler (ruler) in each image, establishing settings for auto correcting the pincushion distortion should be fairly straight forward.

All the best,
Elizabeth Widman
University of Warwick
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/sbdtc/people/students/2007/elizabeth_widman/