[Coral-List] Pics correction software

Art Gleason art.gleason at miami.edu
Fri Sep 14 14:14:55 EDT 2012

Hi Martina,

If you have access to Matlab and can recreate the settings on the  
you can use the camera calibration toolbox:

Alternatively, you can use the distortion correction tools in photoshop
(Filter | Distort | Lens Correction...) For an example of
how to do it the photoshop way see:

Good Luck!

Art Gleason
art.gleason at miami.edu

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 14:42:05 +0200
> From: Martina Milanese <m.milanese at studioassociatogaia.com>
> Subject: [Coral-List] Pics correction software
> To: <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
> Message-ID: <CC77A13D.8AD5%m.milanese at studioassociatogaia.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="ISO-8859-1"
> Hi all,
> I have a problem with some uw photos I took while following up a  
> long-term
> field experiment where measuring is crucial. May anyone help?
> I took the pics using the photo mode of my Sony XR550 camcorder, which
> features a slight wide-angle lens. I?ve done this several times in  
> the past
> and the camera automatically corrects the associated distortion when a
> specific photo format is selected. Very good and smooth. For reasons  
> I don?t
> know, however, this time the usual camera setting was overturned. Of  
> course
> I realised it too late... I was horrified at finding out that all my  
> pics
> are stretched in the four corners and the straight rulers are so  
> gently
> curved...
> Does anyone know about a software that may correct this, essentially  
> as the
> camera does when the appropriate setting is selected?
> I seem to remember reading a paper where something similar was used  
> but
> can?t really find it again. Any other advice (besides getting back  
> in the
> water and repeat the session, of course) is welcome!
> Cheers,
> Martina

More information about the Coral-List mailing list