[Coral-List] Reporting Co2 to the public

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 19 09:45:54 EDT 2012

   Ellen,
   I think many of us share your frustrations as we search for ways to affect
   public attitudes

   regarding climate change, ocean acidification and other substantive issues
   as well.

   Recently, I attended a panel discussion relating to Orca captivity. Much of
   the expert

   commentary focused on dismay over the inability of information clearly
   illustrating the

   inappropriate nature of the practice to translate into a reflective reaction
   whereby the public

   no longer subsidizes such spectacles.
   It struck me that the public's indifference to the dolphin issue (much like
   climate change), was

   in reality a cultural one. What we are talking about are issues that in
   order to be properly

   resolved will require a shift in the fundamental way in which our society
   thinks and acts. It goes

   to  the  very  core of our collective values. It's no wonder we remain
   perplexed and discouraged for

   we live in a media-driven society more engaged and fascinated with the
   Kardashians than with

   the implications of climate change or the sufferings of captive whales.

   [1]http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/06/27/study-kardashians-get-40-times-mo
   re-news-covera/186703
   It seems to me that we have nobody to blame but ourselves. Media outlets
   reject hard science content

   because they can sell only what we are willing to endure. It's a tall order,
   but all that's left to do is find

   ways to transform our society into one more captivated by the hope for a
   better future than escaping into

   the depths of reality TV.
   Steve