[Coral-List] Reporting Co2 to the public

Helder Perez helder.perez at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 11:50:11 EDT 2012

Dear Listers,

The problem is not the lack of information, but on how we frame it. Ellen
is right when she says that the media outlets are not interested in our
graphs. They make a living by selling hype stories to people. And guess
what? our stories are neither hype, nor sexy.

I was watching an episode of Cosmos the other day, and asides from all
those fascinating stories from the depths of the universe, quasars and
whatnot, something else caught my attention. It was Carl Sagan's crafty
wording! He could vanish the entire living room and send you all the way to
outer space just by talking. Of course, the images were amazing, but it was
*the story* behind them what made me *dream*!

Why can we not frame corals in such a way? With Jacques Cousteau gone and
Sir David Attenborough not getting any younger we are in desperate need of
new story tellers. We have so much to share with the world, and quite
sincerely, not a lot of time left to do it. As we move deeper into a
changing world, people's cognitive dissonance is also getting stronger. It
appears that people's wants will continue to overcome our planet's needs
for some time. Maybe we should chip in and and hire the BBDO (the world's
most awarded advertising agency) to help us craft a sexy and hype coral
conservation campaign. Who knows?

For more information on how to communicate (climate) science to the public,
please visit www.climateaccess.org There's an impressive resource hub and a
network of savvy fellas working on the same goal as all of us.

Saludos,

Helder I. Pérez

Vice-president
*Bay Islands Foundation