[Coral-List] massive coral die off in Kauai, Hawaii

Rudy Bonn rudy_bonn at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 13:10:08 EDT 2012

Bastian, you may be referring to the work done by Jim Porter and others, where they found a link between white pox, which decimated the elkhorn coral populations in the Keys, to a bacterium found in the human intestinal tract,  the bacterium was present in the influent waters at the treatment facility but not present in the effluent.  Stormwater runoff is a big problem in the keys, key west alone has over 970 storm drains, where the water drains directly to the ocean, I dont know what kind of sewage treatment infrastructure is on Kauai, but yes I would think it certainly is a possibility   good luck,   Rudy

we also have a problem with septic systems in the keys as well, old and leaking,

Rudy S Bonn
Director of Marine Projects
Reef Relief
631 Greene Street