[Coral-List] Doing something about it!!! Other then debating

Pedro H. Rodríguez phernanrod at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 5 10:52:09 EDT 2013

Jim,

Your offer is very generous. In order for a campaign of this sort to be effective, insights from social scientists must be tapped to discover what makes people so reluctant to change, even in the face of pervasive issues such as marine and coastal trash. I live near a beach that is subject to a massive yearly clean-up by NGOs and volunteers. The campaign also aims to educate people about proper waste disposal and recycling, but it seems that every year there is more garbage to clean (even though the locals are directly affected by having to swim in it). I have a feeling that something is wrong with the campaign's messaging, and that proper research has not been done about social issues such as trust and personal responsibility. I worry that a Web-based campaign about coral reefs that is not grounded on such basic social research will also fail, especially if more complex and less evident (to the non-scientist) issues such as ocean
 acidification are at its core. I agree with Kristopher's view that trash can become a rallying point for marine-conservation issues in general, but a good understanding of the underlying social drivers is needed.

Cheers,
Pedro

Message: 6