[Coral-List] To Dennis Hubbard (What agency should list corals under the Endangered)

karim karim.benmustapha at instm.rnrt.tn
Wed Apr 10 07:41:31 EDT 2013

Dear Dr Alina,

I agree with your point of view even though, not a lot of scientists
see/understand those oxymorons, thus the same apply for green and economy or
sustainability and development. What is needed is a paradigm and a deep
changes in our consumerisms cultures, more than to regulate humain
population size. In the well known paper of Dr Garrett Hardin, 1968 (tragedy
of the commons) he also concluded about the need for a limit of humain
population size. Whether it’s a question of demography or social economy,
there is a debate, but lot of experts like Dr Guillou (former ED of INRA
france) explaining how deep is the global food crisis due to the free
market's "savagery" and the resulting iniquities rather than global
population size.
Our ecological footprint is already beyond the limits (3.5 time since last
august) and a recent paper in nature
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v486/n7401/full/nature11018.html)
highlight the urgency of actions,  and we still spokes about green economy
(capitalization of the nature and its systems then introduction into the
global economy like 'credit carbone' (sorry Im Arabic and French speaker) or
the new UN-ERDD) and sustainable development.

I do not see a serious wishes to changes from the UN neither from almost all
the national official agencies (look at the outcomes of the last Rio +20
meeting with regard to UNEP's acknowledgment of failing to fulfill the
millennium goals...) as well as the last round of Climate negotiations in
Doha -does it make sense climate negotiation without the US or Canada???).
The issue is about economy and how politicians and their "experts" see it.
Economy shouldn't be the goal (a study showed that unemployment raised by
11% during last 40 years while PIB was growing, meaning that growth doesn't
achieve humain wellbeing (see also
https://blogs.aalto.fi/magazine/2012/02/24/wellbeing-uncoupled-from-economic
-growth/) )).

A paradigm is needed to achieve a reel shift to conserve nature and support
its services and -infine- humain wellbeing.

kerim

http://www.scoop.it/t/ecology-and-economic
kbmtok at gmail.com
kbmtok at yahoo.com.au