[Coral-List] BP Crude Oil Found in Heterotrophic Corals

Eugene Shinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Wed Apr 10 15:45:44 EDT 2013

Dear Steve, I just read the paper you published with Porter, Sammarco,
and Cake (I should have read it before my previous post) and agree that
this was most certainly BP oil. The photo (figure 2) showing the slick
not far from the platform is proof enough. In addition the samples were
taken between 12 and 20 meters below the surface. That corals at that
depth contained oil is clear evidence the oil contained Corexit. Without
surfactants oil would have been restricted to  surface waters above the
zone of coral growth. In my experience coral mucus resists absorption of
untreated crude oil even when totally submerged in oil. That is what
happened when I totally submerged /Acropora cervicornis/ in typical
Louisiana crude for one hour (the coral grew when placed back in sea
water). Below the surface slicks the amount of hydrocarbons dissolved in
sea water from untreated crude is generally low. Experiments performed
at Texas A and M in the early 1970s showed the maximum level of
hydrocarbon that could be dissolved in sea water was around 19 ppm. What
you have demonstrated is clearly many times greater. I conclude that is
because of the surfactant Corexit.  In the mid 1970s I helped write the
API oil spill clean up manual. I wrote the coral reef section. The main
conclusion was that surfactants should not be used on  oil spills in the
vicinity of coral reefs. I suspect you would agree with that conclusion.
The paper you have published is excellent! It will be interesting to see
how far westward this oil can be traced in corals. Is Tubastrea the
exotic that had drawn so much attention lately? Gene

--

No Rocks, No Water, No Ecosystem (EAS)
E. A. Shinn, Courtesy Professor