[Coral-List] what agency should list corals

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 03:52:04 EDT 2013

I just took a quick look at the Wikipedia page, "Projections of population
growth."  They say

"According to current *projections of population
growth<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth>
*, the world population of humans will continue to grow until at least
2050, with the estimated population, based on current growth trends, to
reach 9 billion in
2040,[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth#cite_note-WM-1>
[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth#cite_note-2>and
some
predictions <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population#Forecasts>putting
the population in 2050 as high as 11 billion.
[3]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth#cite_note-3>World
population passed the 7 billion mark on October 31, 2011.
[1]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth#cite_note-WM-1>
According to the United Nations<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations>'
World Population Prospects
report,[4]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth#cite_note-4>the
world
population <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population> is currently
growing by approximately 74 million people per year. Current United Nations
predictions estimate that the world population will reach 9.0 billion
around 2050, assuming a decrease in average fertility
rate<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility_rate>from 2.5 down to 2.0.
[5]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth#cite_note-UNPop-5>
[6]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Projections_of_population_growth#cite_note-6>
"

The Wikipedia page on "Population growth" has some interesting graphs, like
the first one showing world population growth since 10,000 BCE, which shows
how extremely rapidly population has grown in the last few hundred years
compared to earlier, even the logarithmic version of it that which is their
third graph shows that the growth rate has spiked in the last couple
hundred years or so.  Their second graph shows that the rate of population
growth, expressed in percent growth per year, has been decreasing since the
early 1960's, and is projected to continue to decline.

Cheers,  Doug

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM, frahome at yahoo.com <frahome at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I have not checked the scientific validity of the below link but I can see
> that even in the more "optimistic" curve we will be over 8 billions by 2035
> (population is not dropping, yet) and still as many as 6.2 billions in 2100.
>
> I do not mean to be negative but maybe in 2100 the population could be
> even less than the "optimistic" estimate of 6.2 billions considering what
> could happen if we do not act now to face the food, environmental,
> economic, poverty, inequity, overpopulation, and climate crises of the
> current and next few decades.
> As many started to say, or we get quickly and voluntarily prepared for a
> smooth transition to a new model or it will be forced on us in a very
> unpleasant way.
> Francesca

PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

The views expressed are those of the author alone.