[Coral-List] Lion fish question

BRUCE CARLSON exallias2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 17:04:25 EDT 2013

Steve,

I know there are a number of papers dealing with the issue you have raised, but here are two that I have handy that shed light on this topic:

Grubich, J.R. et al.  2009.  Diversity of lionfishes (Pisces: Scorpaenidae) among remote coral reefs of the Palau Archipelago.  Coral Reefs 28:807
This brief paper gives an indication of the magnitude of difference in the numbers of Pterois species per hectare on a Pacific reef versus Western Atlantic areas.

and:

Green, Stephanie J., et al.  2012.  Invasive lionfish drive Atlantic coral reef fish declines.  PLoS ONE 7(3):  e32596.  doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0032596
This paper provides documentation on how West Atlantic reef fish populations have been affected by Pterois predation.

Hope this helps with your question.

Bruce