[Coral-List] Lion fish question

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 17 21:44:07 EDT 2013

   Hi Steve,

       Many reef species are quickly learning to feed on speared lion fish
   throughout the Caribbean. I've seen grouper, snapper, sharks, eels and even
   lobster eagerly consume conveniently filleted hand outs. Even to the point
   that they will often hover aggressively over live lion fish waiting for the
   kill shot. Nurse sharks that previously had to be quietly approached, now
   swim  ever  so  close  to divers in areas where they are fed lion fish
   with regularity.   Dive   masters  in some areas  now  claim  to  have
   witnessed varied species taking live lion fish on their own. I haven't
   witnessed this myself as yet, but I see no reason for embellishment.

   Regards,

     Steve