[Coral-List] Lion fish question

Richard Berey CoastWorks at hughes.net
Fri Apr 19 11:51:45 EDT 2013

Here in St. Croix there is a sizable community of local fishermen along with
active sport diving businesses. Their observations parallel mine regarding
lionfish impacts. Personally, having been in these waters since 1984 I have
noted both the acute habitat degradation events (bleaching events for
example) and chronic degradation (non-point source pollution, fishing
pressure, climate associated, etc). I have been amazed at the impact from
lionfish. Areas with which I am familiar became nearly exclusive lionfish
domains in a short span of time. Same areas where divers have applied
continuous pressure on the lionfish began to see the return of other
species. In the absence of lionfish hunting ­ the lionfish returned and the
other species drastically diminished.

A curious by-product of the lionfish spear hunters is the change in the
habits of the ubiquitous reef sharks: At some dive sites, upon reaching
depth, divers are accompanied by three or four of the sharks for the entire
dive. The sharks are waiting for the lionfish hand-outs. They¹ll remain in
close proximity and can be very insistent once a lionfish is speared.

Rich
--
Richard W. Berey

CoastWorks