[Coral-List] Lion fish question

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 20 15:37:08 EDT 2013

   Pardon the redundancy, but I feel compelled to follow up in the hope that
   some listers might consider alternative hypotheticals. Iâll keep it brief.
     * Is  it  possible  that a primary factor related to the density and
       proliferation of lion fish populations throughout the Caribbean {when
       compared  to  native  ranges}  might  be  the relative scarcity of
       higher-level,  larger  predatory fish such as sharks, grouper, and
       snapper?

     * Has anyone compared the relative total biomass of higher-level predators
       on the Caribbean reefs where lion fish are now found with that of the
       native Indo-Pacific ranges where anomalous controls are not required?

     * Is it reasonable to at least theorize that the best case scenario for
       effectively keeping invasive lion fish populations in check would be one
       that encompasses a strategy for overall coral reef recovery including
       the  related re-emergence of a greater number of potential natural
       predators?

     * In the spirit of full disclosure, I raise these questions because it
       appears to me as if many in my industry are deluding themselves by
       focusing reef conservation efforts on this particular issue. Its good
       for business and thatâs a positive, but there needs to be an awareness
       that the implementation of currently advocated mitigation strategies
       will not miraculously  restore once healthy coral reef ecosystems. In
       the end we canât continue to ignore the eight-hundred-pound gorilla
       sitting squarely upon the Acropora palmata.

      Regards,
       Steve
   www.sea-lab.com
   http://www.news-press.com/article/20120514/GREEN/305140006/Are-predators-eat