[Coral-List] Lion fish question

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Sun Apr 21 22:08:44 EDT 2013

My question is the following:  If Caribbean coral reefs had not been almost totally depleted of large sized native groupers, snappers, barracudas, etc, (like we used to still see in a few places the 1960s), would the lionfish have been able to establish themselves so readily?

Also, what was the pre-lionfish trend in abundance and size frequency of the small fishes the lionfish now consume before the original large predators were overfished by humans?  I would guess that population densities of some of the smaller reef fishes that the lionfishes are now eating were elevated at the time of the invasion compared to pre-human fishing because of lack of predation on them.

Man really disturbs a system (overfishing of Caribbean reefs, already noted extensively in the literature in the 1980s way before lionfishes were discovered on Caribbean reefs) and now tries to blame a poor IndoPacific species for the sad state of affairs of fish communities on Caribbean reefs.  How about stop totally and for a long time (forever?) all fishing for any of the fish (and invertebrate) predators on Caribbean reefs and let's see what happens to the reefs, the lionfishes and all the small reef fishes?  Wow, that would be amazing!

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Professor of Marine Biology
Center for Marine Science and Dept of Biology and Marine Biology
University of North Carolina Wilmington
5600 Marvin Moss Ln
Wilmington NC 28409 USA
tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta