[Coral-List] NYT Article on "Predatory Open-Access Journals"

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Wed Apr 24 12:27:56 EDT 2013

One other factor to consider in all of this is that many colleges and
universities are trying to set up protocols that will encourage faculty to
post manuscripts in open-access spaces. I realize this is not the focal
point of this discussion, but thought it might be useful to point out that
many institutions (and in particular liberal arts institutions) see
journals in a very different light than other "texts" and can be somewhat
deaf to the issues I have seen raised here.

I don't know how widespread this sentiment is, but I do know that it is
pervasive in schools like Oberlin College. We may feel that because these
are not large R-1 schools, this is not an issue for this group. However, I
would remind everyone that 90% of future grad students come from these
schools - Oberlin produces more future PhDs in science (our NS program
boasts less than 400 students) than Ohio State at some disproportionately
large number of NS students.... and this is not per capita - it's RAW
numbers. We are number 11 of any US school of any size in this regard - and
we're not #1 in our peer group. I say this not to toot our horn (well....
maybe a little) but rather to point out that many misguided issues related
to open access seem misguided factors that are at the core of OA may not be
on the radar screen of those focusing more closely on predatory publishers.

Dennis