[Coral-List] NYT Article on "Predatory Open-Access Journals"

RainbowWarriorsInternational southern_caribbean at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 10:08:09 EDT 2013

Again, I agree with Kerim and Ulf on the role of traditional academic journals staying around for quite some time and being needed. But somehow quite a few of these journals are getting so expensive that even the likes of Harvard University balked at the cost of keeping libraries

Take a look at these articles:
http://www.boston.com/yourtown/cambridge/articles/2012/04/28/harvard_pushes_back_against_academic_publishers_pricing_encourages_open_access/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/apr/24/harvard-university-journal-publishers-prices

http://openscience.com/journal-publishers-prices-are-too-high-even-for-the-university-of-harvard/

There needs to be a middle ground. Access to scientific information is of vital importance to practicing good science, and the cost must somehow be kept within the reach of all, whether in the developed world or in developing countries.

I think Harvard University has a well balanced take on the issue.

Milton Ponson, President
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
(Rainbow Warriors International)
Tel. +297 568 5908
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
Email: southern_caribbean at yahoo.com
http://www.rainbowwarriors.net

To unite humanity in a global society dedicated to a sustainable way of life