[Coral-List] Shark Week!

Osmar Luiz osmarluizjr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 04:56:53 EDT 2013

I hope you all forgive me for this piece of shameless self-promotion. I would like to suggest the paper below that provides evidence not only that fishing is the main cause for shark declines but also shows the rapidity that an abundant population of sharks can be extirpated to local extinction.

Luiz, O.J. & Edwards, A. J. 2011. Extinction of a shark population in the Archipelago of Saint Paul's Rocks (equatorial Atlantic) inferred from the historical record.
Biological Conservation 144:2873-288.

Cheers
Osmar

----------------------