[Coral-List] Diver Distance et al

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 14 15:38:28 EDT 2013

   Dennis,
   What I'm trying to grasp here is which aspects of the current coral reef
   conditions are not the direct result of human impacts? What exactly didn't
   we "break"?  Is most of what I'm seeing simply contributable to natural
   cyclical variations?

   It seems to me that what you have hit on reflects the significant fissure
   that exists between the perspectives of the organic sciences and geology as
   they relate to how we view the threats associated with climate change. If I
   am reading you correctly, you are suggesting that the use of our limited
   monetary and intellectual capital to "fix" effects which some of us are
   attributing to climate change are in fact wasteful because those efforts are
   in actuality more accurately characterized as attempts to reshape natural
   patterns that we just don't like . . . That exposes a fundamental difference
   in how we view things and also clearly illustrates the insurmountable nature
   of the divide.
   I continue to view the dynamics differently and believe there would be
   universal willingness to contribute limitless capital of all kinds if the
   potential undesirable impacts did not involve powerful economic interests
   with spirited political affiliations. It would not matter if the threat were
   "natural" or "human-induced".
   Take  for  instance  a  scenario whereby our planet is threatened by a
   potentially cataclysmic meteorite. There would likely be an immediate,
   internationally coordinated effort to disrupt its trajectory. All nations
   would work tirelessly to share their collective expertise in a frantic
   attempt to avert disaster. The US would be working hand in hand with China,
   Russia, India and even Iran. All economic and political considerations would
   be swept aside. But since climate change challenges the established economic
   and political hierarchy of all involved no such effort is forthcoming.
   That, and perhaps the fact that the impending impacts of climate change are
   more  insidious  in that there isn't a date certain for their ultimate
   consequences to take full effect.
   Regards,
    Steve