[Coral-List] diver distance

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 15 09:15:19 EDT 2013

Dear Gene,

Yes, in the long term (over geological time) nature has likely been more harmful to coral reefs and other ecosystems than humans. But then consider the fact that we humans haven't been here but for a small fraction of earth's existence and the proposition turns.

We really haven't had much time to over-fish, litter, chemically pollute, cut down mangroves and dump unhealthy levels of nutrients and sedimentation into our coastal waters. And don't forget we haven't been exposing those scores of happy snorkelers and divers to the wonders of what used to be thriving reefs but for a few fleeting seconds of earth's time.

So while oodles of money are flowing and the Keys economy is the best you have ever seen, have you ever stopped to consider the picture that is emerging for future generations to behold?   What will that ever popular Molasses Reef look like three decades from now?

Maybe I'm just not finding enough comfort in the fact that nature can be harmful too.

  Regards,
   Steve