[Coral-List] diver distance

Martin Moe martin_moe at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 17 10:29:37 EDT 2013

Steve,

The short answer to your question: "Is your committee considering the promotion of educational outreach
related to the impending effects of climate change to be among its
priorities?", is Yes. But of course, it's complicated. There are many environmental problems impacting the future of the Florida Keys, in my view the two overriding, critical concerns are the results of impending climate change and the probable current and increasing presence of endocrine disrupting chemicals in the near shore and offshore waters of the Keys (actually the waters of all our coastlines are probably effected to various degrees). We have discussed these problems, among many others, in our meetings.

One of our SAC members, Chris Bergh of the Nature Conservancy has been very much involved with the issue of potential changes in the Florida Keys due to climate change. In a recent publication "Climate Change Action Plan for the Florida Reef System 2010-2015" Chris has effectively described what and to what degree the Florida Keys might expect sea level rise and environmental changes in the coming years of this century. This publication is
 available online.

http://frrp.org/Presentations/2ndRRC/Tues%20Intro/Tuesday%20am-Alex%20Score.pdf

In this publication Chris outlines the actions that we can take to prepare for these changes.

Goal 1: Increase coral reef resilience to climate change and
ocean acidification through effective management strategies
and actions.

Goal 2. Identify, understand, and communicate risks and
vulnerability of Florida’s coral reef ecosystems, ecosystem
services, and dependent human communities to climate
change and ocean acidification.

Goal 3. Enhance strategic management of Florida’s coral
reef ecosystems through improved and applied
understanding, forecasts, and projections of climate change
and ocean acidification impacts

I have also been active in bringing to the attention of the public and the SAC to the potential problem of endocrine disruptors in our near shore and offshore waters. The problem of endocrine disrupting chemicals, active in affecting hormone activity in vertebrates and invertebrates alike at extremely low concentrations is a relatively recently recognized problems in our fresh and marine waters. There are now over 800 chemicals that have been or are suspected to have endocrine disrupting activity and that find their way into our waters. Since the Florida Bay and the Keys receives waters from the agricultural and urban areas of South Florida, the 17 major rivers of the east coast of the Gulf of Mexico from the Mississippi to the Everglades Shark River, and from Caribbean waters, as well as storm water runoff and our now being phased out septic systems; I strongly suspect that we have problems with endocrine disruptors in Keys waters. And the effects of
 endocrine disruptors on the larvae of marine invertebrates, including corals and sea urchins are largely  unknown. We just don't know what is in the waters, where and when it is present, and what the effects might be. And that we have to know before corrective action can be taken.

In our discussions, however, we elected not to include these problems directly in our current efforts to restore our ecosystem. This decision was not because we felt that these problems are unimportant, far from it, it was because these problems were not directly within our current abilities to work with corrective environmental efforts. That said, we are working to complete the installation of sewer systems, storm water control, and on canal water quality, to clean up and repair canal water flows. The residents of the Florida Keys are accepting the largest share of these efforts that will improve these unique and valuable  ecosystems, not only for Florida but for the nation as well. The Sanctuary also has a very active and effective Education and Outreach program and the Sanctuary and the Sanctuary Friends Foundation of the Florida Keys makes every effort to inform and educate the public on the environmental status of our environment and our efforts to
 preserve, conserve, and restore our ecosystems,

I think you are correct in that "the future of Florida’s reefs will likely depend on efforts that
extend even beyond a vision that accounts for extended MPA's and the
beneficial merger of coral and Diadema restoration technologies". It will take a concerted effort on not only the part of the citizens of the Keys and the State of Florida, but also on the recognition and control of the pollutants that are released into the atmosphere and that are flushed away in all the waterways of North America, and the repair of the industrial and agricultural practices of the entire United States, and the world as well. This is a very big problem of course, but we can solve big problems if we have the will, and the fate of the only coral reef, the third largest in the world, here in the Florida Key may be a catalyst that will stimulate action.

Martin