[Coral-List] coral rubble mound builder?

Bridge, Thomas thomas.bridge at jcu.edu.au
Thu Aug 22 18:32:45 EDT 2013

Hi Bill,
These mounds are indeed built by tilefish. I was in the Maldives in March, and noticed that they were abundant in depths of 50-80 m on the outer reef wall at North Huvadhoo.
I have attached a screen capture taken from ROV video. There were often multiple tilefish utilising a single mound.
I can probably find a better close-up of the fish if required.
Cheers,
Tom

Dr Tom Bridge
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies
James Cook University and
Australian Institute of Marine Science
Townsville, QLD
4811