[Coral-List] chimney-like structures in pits

Bill Allison allison.billiam at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 07:57:06 EDT 2013

Thanks to those who responded to my inquiry about mounds - Malacanthids are
the most likely builders.

I have also come across several pits of 50  - 100 cm diameter and up to 50
cm deep with multiple chimney-like structures in them about 15 cm and 10 cm
outside and inside walls and 15 cm high. The walls are of lightly cemented
sand coated with a veneer of algal turf, and may be shared. I got some
photos but did not have time to linger to watch for a potential builder.