[Coral-List] More links about the Fukushima disaster

Alan.E.Strong - NOAA Affiliate alan.e.strong at noaa.gov
Wed Aug 28 09:31:24 EDT 2013

Can someone put this into the context of the concern the US worked
through during the 50s and 60s??  Some of us can undoubtedly remember
all the doom and gloom during those decades of airborne Strontium-90
being "everywhere" (especially milk).  Later in that time frame I was
working with University of Michigan researchers on the Great Lakes
routinely collecting water samples from the middle of Lake Michigan that
were sent to "the EPA" of that era for analysis for concentrations and
trends.  Is there anyone who can put these quantities of Strontium-90
radiation into that perspective for a comparison as far as the US is, or
should be, concerned?

Regards,
Al

On 8/27/2013 8:59 PM, Szmant, Alina wrote:
> Hello Melissa:
>
> As I read the Nat Geo piece and other work, the concern for harmful levels of radiation to humans is pretty much confined to Japan and mostly near the Fukushima area.  The amount of contaminated water and the radiation levels in them are really less than a drop in the proverbial Pacific bucket.  It is a terrible accident and situation for Japan, but I would caution you against becoming hysterical over radiation effects to the US and rest of the World based on a visceral fear of the word 'radioactive'.
>
> Regards,
>
> Alina

> Dr. Alina M. Szmant
> Professor of Marine Biology
> Center for Marine Science and Dept of Biology and Marine Biology
> University of North Carolina Wilmington
> 5600 Marvin Moss Ln
> Wilmington NC 28409 USA
> tel:  910-962-2362  fax: 910-962-2410  cell: 910-200-3913
> http://people.uncw.edu/szmanta

+++ PLEASE NOTE OUR NEW ADDRESS BELOW +++

**** <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< ******* <>< *******

Alan E. Strong, Ph.D.
NOAA Coral Reef Watch, Consultant
Strong Research, Inc. & GST
NOAA Coral Reef Watch Program
  e-mail: Alan.E.Strong at noaa.gov
url: coralreefwatch.noaa.gov

Mailing Address:

NOAA
Dr. Alan Strong
NCWCP - E/RA3
Center for Weather and Climate Prediction (NCWCP)
5830 University Research Ct. - Rm. 3252
College Park, MD 20740

PHONE:  301-683-3339  Cell: 410-490-6602

(301) 683-3300 - General SOCD phone number
(301) 683-3301 - SOCD Fax