[Coral-List] A World without Coral Reefs?

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 31 15:13:49 EDT 2013

   Dear Listers,
   I hate to put this out there, but I'm beginning to wonder if I've been
   kidding myself.
   I've been collaborating with others in an effort to urge the diving industry
   to openly address the issue of local and global threats to coral reefs
   including an honest assessment of the pending impacts of climate change. In
   doing  so  I've  found  it necessary to tread carefully in that strong
   resistance remains intact throughout the industry at just the mention of the
   term climate change.
   But that's not really my focus at this point. What I want to know is this:
   Are efforts to forestall or mitigate the impacts of climate change on coral
   reef ecosystems already past the point being practical? Are efforts like
   last  year's  consensus  statement  from  the  ICRS  just based on the
   institutional inertia of conservationists who value hope over truth and
   scientists who can't see the reefs for the corals? Am I (are we) spreading
   false beliefs and misdirecting efforts by persisting that coral reefs have a
   future rather than urging that we begin to address the greater fallout from
   their inevitable collapse?
   I'm honestly beginning to wonder.
   Regards,
    Steve